June 9, 2020 ![]() By DYLAN BYERS in Los Angeles & AHIZA GARCÍA-HODGES in San Francisco Good morning. Brian Roberts says Comcast will commit $100 million "to fight injustice and inequality against any race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation or ability." (Comcast owns NBCUniversal, the parent company of NBC News.)
Join the Market: 🗞️ Newsletter | 🎙️ Podcast
![]() Jared Siskin/Getty New era Social upheaval rocks media, from Condé to Refinery29
Moving the Market: The ongoing social upheaval over racial injustice continued to force change across the media industry on Monday, as high-ranking editors resigned amid staff protest, various outlets faced scrutiny over their treatment of black staffers and one publication said it would support its journalists' right to protest.
• The big picture: Media companies are being forced, often by their own staff, to reassess their role in the fight for racial justice, whether that means rethinking diversity inside the company or reexamining their commitment to editorial "objectivity."
• Monday's changes follow James Bennet's resignation from The New York Times on Sunday, as well as the resignation of Philadelphia Inquirer editor Stan Wischnowski on Saturday.
The latest:
• Adam Rapoport, the editor-in-chief of Condé Nast's Bon Appétit, resigned after a photo surfaced showing him dressed as a derogatory Puerto Rican stereotype, and amid staff allegations that the magazine discriminated against employees of color. In a statement, Rapoport said he needed "to reflect on the work that I need to do as a human being and... allow Bon Appétit to get to a better place."
• Christene Barberich, the editor and co-founder of Refinery29, announced she would step down after several employees said they had been discriminated against while working at the company. "We have to do better," Barberich said in a statement, "and that starts with making room." She will stay on as an adviser until the fall.
• The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is facing scrutiny after an NPR report showed the paper banned a black reporter from covering protests because of a controversial tweet, but did not take similar action on controversial tweets from a white reporter. Post-Gazette editor Keith Burris did not respond to NPR's request for comment.
• And at The Washington Post, an internal memo obtained by NYT's Ben Smith reveals that staff have complained of a "two-tiered" approach to social media policy, where "white, male reporters often get away with potentially problematic messages, while female and minority colleagues are not given the benefit of the doubt.”
On another note:
• Jim VandeHei, the co-founder and CEO of Axios, announced that his company would take the rare move of supporting its journalists if they wanted to take part in public protests, and would even cover bail or assist with medical bills if they were arrested or physically harmed. "We proudly support and encourage you to exercise your rights to free speech, press, and protest," he wrote in a memo to staff.
What's next: More of this — the good, the bad and the ugly. The current social upheaval is unlikely to subside anytime soon, and so media organizations will likely continue to be forced to reckon with more calls for change, especially from their own employees.
![]() Brian Ach/Getty Course correction IBM exits facial recognition
Big in the Bay: Arvind Krishna says IBM is getting out of the facial recognition business due to concerns about the technology's role in perpetuating racial bias, CNBC's Lauren Hirsch reports. Krishna made the announcement while calling on Congress "to enact reforms to advance racial justice and combat systemic racism."
• The big picture: "Facial recognition software... has been shown to suffer from bias along lines of age, race, and ethnicity, which can make the tools unreliable for law enforcement and security and ripe for potential civil rights abuses," The Verge's Jay Peters writes.
Market Links
• Tom Cotton wins the New York Times war (WaPo)
• Bill Barr girds for Google antitrust battle (Information)
• Adam Aron reports AMC earnings after the bell (Deadline)
• Baron Davis invests in Blue Wire podcast startup (Variety)
• Douglas McGray ends 'California Sunday' in print (Folio)
![]() Icon Sportswire/Getty 🏈 Sports report NFL to OK on-field protests
Leading the League: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will likely allow players to protest on the field during the presentation of the flag and the performance of the National Anthem, a departure from previous policy that is likely to tempt the ire of President Donald Trump, Front Office Sports’ Michael McCarthy reports.
• The big picture: The move "sets up a potential rematch of the battle between Trump and the NFL that played out over the 2017 and 2018 seasons,” when Trump "called on NFL owners to fire 'son-of-a-bitch' players who disrespected the American flag."
The backstory: Goodell, who has been criticized for his handling of player protests, conceded this weekend that the league was “wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier." He said the league is now encouraging all of its players "to speak out and peacefully protest.”
• On Twitter, Trump responded by asking if it was "even remotely possible" that Goodell was "intimating that it would now be O.K. for the players to KNEEL, or not to stand, for the National Anthem."
What’s next: The NFL is now working with the NFL Players Association on its anthem strategy for the upcoming season.
📱 What's next: TikTok IRL. Read NYT's Taylor Lorenz on how a group of TikTok and YouTube influencers wreaked havoc on Bel Air.
See you tomorrow.
Get the NBC News Mobile App ![]() ![]()
|